Sunday, 21 February 2010

Tea for Eight, and Annie too

"You look good with a baby," Mike told me, while giving a "You should be worried" look to Paul.  What could I say?  Sarah's a very good dancer and had me trained in no time: Keep moving!  We tangoed in the kitchen as others sipped tea (more Jammie Dodgers to make up for the cheese scones attempt that didn't rise for the occassion). 

It was great to finally meet the latest addition to Char and Mike's family, and to see everyone doing well.  Jade zipped around the room - appearing fuzzy in every photo I took of her.  Jesse and Jazzy ended up showing some tongue, but I don't think Alannah (or Paul) knew quite what was happening.



It seemed a little too soon, but right after Catherine arrived, Paul and I had to head out - For tonight, there was Annie. 


"This is my girlfriend, who wears too many clothes."  ~ How Paul wanted to introduce me

I have to admit, when Paul pulled out his diary to plan the week with me (months ago), I saw every third day marked with another woman's name and I was upset.  Who was Annie?  Well, Annie is Annie.  Paul had been asked, and said yes to be in a local production - and with that there were rehearsals. 

There is no dancing-six foot tall-tuba-playing orphan in Annie... that I knew of.  But there is definitely a tuba part in the orchestra (so I was told). 

We arrived at Festival Place with little time to spare.  As he warmed up, I read cast bios and found my assigned seat (coincidentially, right in front of my family doctor).  The curtain rose and I watched Annie's story unfold. 

The super charismatic and energetic, red-haired orphan girl inspires an incredible number of things to happen in the next few hours.  Most importantly, she awoke the workaholic heart of Mr. Warbucks.  Oh, and gave an uplifting boost for the New Deal, on the side - All in time for Christmas!
I waited for the apple seller to drop an apple (which happened at another performance causing a drum to ring) or for a dog to miss a cue.  Instead, it all seemed to flow quite well, and familiar tunes, I didn't know were from this musical, had me tapping and murmuring along: "It's a Hard Knocks Life", "Tomorrow", and "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here." 

The kids were cute (the smallest girl being so completely adorable you could almost forget the off tune voice). The adults, however, were the main talents - Miss Hannigan, the ophanage matron, was deliciously evil and had a fabulous voice.

Definitely a fun production.  This "other woman" was pretty cool after all. 

There are a few more nights to go (it closes 27-Feb).  For more information and or tickets check out Festival Place.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Hmm, I don't recall what, exactly (or even vaguely), were the circumstances that meant I wanted to introduce you that way, but can it be put down on record that I didn't actually follow through with it?! Funny!

Lana said...

It can be on record that you have not (yet) introduced me that way. But you might, if I were to again put on three layers (tights, jeans, a pair of your pants, plus all the other stuff) to go with you for a walk to pick up sheet music. Just saying...

Paul said...

Good point.