Thursday, 4 February 2010

Done with Happy People

Bloodletting: Always listed as an example of ridiculous medical practices in the past, but... what if...? 

Just started Survival of the Sickest (a Catherine recommendation), where the author instroduces the book with what inspired him to write: A grandfather with a genetic disorder that lead to extreme high levels of iron in the blood (iron overload / haemochromatosis).  A lightbulb (no doubt planted by Dr. Moalem), went off: What if this bloodletting business wasn't all nonsense, seeming to actually work because some people had a similar genetic disorder?* 

I was already hooked, but Dr. Moalem went one step further, teasing the reader that he will look into why such a genetic disorder exists, and why it is concentrated in European populations.  I'm excited! 

This is exactly what I needed after finishing the horrible Happy People.  This old library sale find, takes place at a 10-year high school reunion (grad class of 1980 - just a little dated).  I was looking forward to its Edmonton setting, but the story soured quickly.  The main character believes people who are happy, Happy People, are delusional.  He hasn't seen his old friends in years and is a little surprised to find that some of them have become Happy People.  As the reunion weekend goes on, some of his friends prove him right - ending up in a very sloppy and depressing mess that doesn't enlighten at all.  Do not read! 
I would warn you through Goodreads, but it's, thankfully, not listed.  I can, however, think happy thoughts that I've sort of cleaned - that's one less book on the shelf. 

Now for Goodreads: It reminds me of a basic facebook, but completely centered around books.  I'm not cataloguing my collection like Catherine, instead entering books as I read them.  The list is growing slowly, but it feels good - especially since they can make a pretty montage like this:


Book club anyone? 

* Reminder: Time to donate blood!

No comments: