Saturday, 6 February 2010

Potluck Feast

"Haven't they heard about volunteering?"  We were all surprised by Ollie's recount of a past case study* she read on different categories of prostitution, but Steph's response was directed to the middle (in price and prestige) group: Suburban Housewives.  As Ollie remembered it, the majority of this group were engaged in this because they were bored and had nothing to do. 

I arrived too late at Erik's potluck Feast for my appetizer to make a difference, but was, gladly, in time for some unsual conversation topics.  As I munched away on others' contributions (Rem's manicotti, sushi, Erik's lemon chicken pasta, Sol's greek farmer salad, Michael's veggie and fruit trays, Neil's cinnamon buns), Mugsy (a serious mover and shaker in the city) polled us on different items of Edmonton and Alberta politics and policies (the Municpal Airport seemed the most contested).  And of course there were the occassional forays into racier topics.  It was neat to have such a large group discussion. 

At the end of the night, we divvied up the leftovers.  Mom and Dad were pleasantly surprised (though they still think I don't eat).


* In order of least to greatest in price and prestige:
1. Street corner
2. Pimped
3. Suburban housewife
4. Massage Parlours
5. Escort Services

Have tried to find the study on the web, using the few details Ollie mentioned.  What I found was that "the suburban housewife as prostitute" theme showing up in Hollywood movies and television, and in an article about Second Life: "Art imitates life"?

No comments: