Wednesday, 24 February 2010

Lunch with TED

A head, some hair, and rectangle "glasses" were all that I managed in 30 seconds.  It was supposed to be Lorena... but it could have been Wendy (if one squinted)... really, it didn't quite look like anyone.  Meanwhile, Tim Brown, the presenter, pegged us exactly: We'd nervously laughed, feeling sheepish at our efforts.

It was not often that Lorena, Wendy, and I would be downtown at lunch - but this was TED in Edmonton!  Well... the first lunch time TED talk viewing.  Admittedly, I hadn't read the fine print and was expecting a live speaker, but as it was the first event, we got sandwiches.

As we munched away, we watched Tim Brown's presentation and took part in some of the activities* - all towards the point that play was important and really can pave the way for creativity**. 

We left the event feeling pretty energised... which was good since we were heading back to work (and my desk had a whole bunch of problems). A good break.  Look forward to the real thing - because the real thing is coming to Edmonton
A bonus - Wendy's awesome drawing of Lorena:

* Unfortunately, we didn't have fingerblasters taped to the bottom of our chairs - but I think we still have vestiges of rubber chicken back at the office.

** Though there was also an example related to drugs...

1 comment:

Lana said...

Tim Brown's presentation available here:
http://www.tedxedmonton.com/2010/04/ted-talks-lunch-02242010-tim-brown/

You might want to print this for one of the activities before you watch:
http://www.innovativeict.net/downloads/30circlestest.pdf