Sunday, 2 August 2009

Garden Vandalism

I had thought it was because of the storm.  But a closer look showed exactly what had happened.  Someone, maybe more than one, had come into our back yard and trampled and pulled out Dad's vegetables.  Auntie Ada and Uncle Johnny were pretty upset too, as whoever it was also went into their garden.  Auntie Ada kept saying "Young people these days have not respect for other people's property...", which I mildly objected. 

In the alley we saw dirt and other uprooted vegetation.  What ever the vandal(s) was looking for it didn't seem to be broccoli or onions - what was the point then in going into a garden?  I guess I would have some sort of sympathy (or feel better) if I thought it was someone who needed and taken food, then there would be some reason behind it.  But it certainly doesn't look like it.  All that was done was damage. 

Dad got me to call the police station.  The person on the line said they really can't do anything.  I could come in to make an official report with the photos, but it wasn't likely that they'd be able to catch anyone.

A footprint doesn't seem to be helpful outside of detective novels and television. 

1 comment:

Neil said...

Footprints, I think, can be helpful if they care. Sadly, garden invasions don't warrant a full forensic investigation. What you really need is a dead body, then your mystery will be solved.