Friday, 28 January 2011

Shapeshifted and Worth Spreading


We were tired, but ready. There were the opening remarks and then some delicious little treats. 

"Ish-ish-ISH!" 

The music played as we milled through the huge crowd at the AGA's latest exhibit opening party.  Finally, we elbowed our way to the third floor to see it gutted of walls.  The huge space created was to fit the Brian Jungen exhibit.

Two huge sculptures made of white plastic chairs (Shapeshifter and Cetology) hung from the ceiling resembling the skeletons of sea creatures or flying animals.  Recycle and garbage bins were pieced together to make a room-sized turtle shell (Carapace). 

I still felt awe when I saw them.  So big and so strange.  It was as though my wandering thoughts of "What will people of the future think of when they see what is left of our civilization?", had materialised.  Or that our stuff has become a "living" thing (much bigger than ourselves) with appetites of their own.

Touching was allowed and one could even walk into the shell. 

"He looks like a real art guy." 

And we did not.  It seemed this time, Paul actually got into watching the fashion show before us.  We attempted to superficially figure out which were the "real" art guys, and which were not. 

We ended the night in the gift shop.  I embarassed Paul by reading aloud Sarah Jackson's Jam Cousteau (A Jam Story).  Much too cute not to.  But I do admit my fake French accent is horrible.

http://ajamstory.com/cards.html

No comments: